Art and Culture within ancient sacred walls

During the Roman Empire, the road from the South into the North led across the Renon mountain. Because the Eisacktal/Valle d'Isarco was impassable until far into the Middle Ages, even kings and emperors heading to Rome on their way to coronation passed over Renon on the Emperor’s Road.
The original building of the Commandery Longomoso dates back to the early 13th century. At the time, all across the region, pilgrim hospices were built to cater to pilgrims on their journey to Rome and provide for the poor. And so, a hospice was erected at Ulrico's Pass in Lengmoos/Longomoso.
When in the 14th century, a road was constructed in the valley, Renon and its hospice gradually lost their significance. In 1235, the hospice was turned into an establishment of the Teutonic Knights, a Commandery. Following its plundering and destruction during the Peasant Revolts of 1525, it was finally re-edified and outfitted with pompously furnished baroque-styled rooms in the 17th century.
These rooms can still be visited today. Additionally, in 1987, the Teutonic Order and the Curatorship of the Commandery Longomoso joined forces to ensure the continuous renovation of the entire building complex as well as its availability for cultural purposes. From May to October, these venerable ancient rooms host concerts, exhibits, symposia and lectures. The courtyard is scene of the annual open-air theater event Renon Summer Stage.
Hotel Weihrerhof
Südtirol Balance
Hotel Naturidylle Geyrerhof
The European Directive 2009/136/EC (E-Privacy) regulates the use of cookies, which are used also on this site! By using our website or by clicking "OK" you agree. Further information